Needle Felted Wool Landscape
WORKSHOP NEWS, 2018
January workshops are now open in Minneapolis…
March workshops now open in beautiful Asheville, NC…
Mother’s Day Classes in May in Minneapolis…
OPEN FOR REGISTRATION: click title for class details, click dates for registration…
- Introductory Workshops
- 2-Day Intensive Workshops
- January 20-21, 2018. Saturday 10-4, Sunday 10-3+ Minneapolis, MN – SOLD OUT
- January 27-28, 2018. Saturday 10-4, Sunday 10-3+ Minneapolis, MN – SOLD OUT
- March 10-11, 2018. Saturday 10-4, Sunday 10-3+ Asheville, NC
- May 19-20, 2018, Saturday 10-4, Sunday 10-3+, Minneapolis, MN
April and May I’ll be back in Minnesota and adding a few more classes, including some intermediate sessions covering topics such as clouds, trees and water. Stay tuned for more workshop options!
Sign up for my email list in the sidebar to be notified when additional workshops become available, or check back to this page for updated offerings…
All levels are welcome in these classes, anyone from a hobbyist with a short attention span to a professional artist can learn, have fun and be impressed with themselves as we learn to “build” the landscape from background and shadow to the highlights of the surface.
Gift Certificates for work and workshops available. To Purchase, email or call for details: Jaana@JaanaMattson.com, 612-723-2114
About the classes:
The materials are all provided with the $25 material fee, due at the start of class. These include a kit for each student with a broad range of dyed wool roving in the landscape palette, felting needles, acrylic felt pinned to a foam block and printed materials outlining tools, fibers and resources. Additional tools will be available to use in class, and for optional purchase. Students do not need to bring any tools or materials to class.
Classes are held in the artist’s home in Uptown Minneapolis; a lovely, spacious old 1920’s duplex (be aware, there are stairs to reach the second and third floor studios), with room and equipment for up to 12 students, including a tour of the felting studio and current work.
Workshops participants must be 16 or older, but kids 12-15 may register with an adult companion also enrolled in the class.
Cancellations at least one month before class are eligible for a refund (less any credit card processing fees). It can be difficult to fill spaces closer to the class date, but if circumstances require a late cancellation a credit can be offered towards a workshop or artwork within the following year.
If you would like to add your name to a wait list for a full class, just send me an email to be on my list.
About the instructor:
Jaana Mattson is a full-time professional artist who loves to make good art and loves to teach. She has developed an innovative and award winning approach to needle felting to create impressionistic and often photo-realistic landscapes from wool fiber. With a Master of Fine Arts in fibers from the University of Washington-Seattle, she loves to share her insight into materials and methods and help each student pursue their curiosity to work in new ways. more…
About the locations:
MINNEAPOLIS: Classes are held in the artist’s home and studio in Uptown Minneapolis, MN: a vibrant urban neighborhood filled with restaurants and lakes. If you are coming from out of town, the home studio location is just 12 miles from MSP Airport. The nearest hotels can be found around the airport or downtown (just a few miles away), and a search on AirBnB offers many options in the Uptown area. There are also two private bedrooms available to rent during the workshops on the 3rd floor (the studio floor) of the artist’s home with shared 3rd floor bath and kitchenette.
ASHEVILLE, NC: Classes in beautiful Asheville will be held in the spacious textile studios of Local Cloth, right next door to the Asheville Area Arts Council between downtown and the River Arts District.
Comments from recent student evaluations in Needle Felted Landscape Workshops:
- “Very open, responsive, clear in instruction, supportive, loved the challenges!”
- “It wasn’t difficult after all to make pieces that please and excited me! Jaana is an excellent teacher, relaxed, attuned and helpful… Working alongside others who were equally engrossed and enthused by the work was a true pleasure!”
- “Great instruction (easy to understand and well organized), supplies provided, nice size group, very comfortable setting and enjoyed everyone’s company.”
- “Inspiring and encouraging for the beginner I am”
- “We had a chance to play, discover, and see classmates’ experimentation… with great “watch me” episodes on elements we requested”
- “Even though I don’t have much art experience she was very approachable and helpful. She was awesome! I felt like I had success yet I was challenged”
Feel free to contact me with any questions, or requests for new dates and classes.
If you would like to be notified when new classes are offered, please sign up for my email list on the sidebar of this page.