Needle Felted Wool Landscape Workshops A few seats still available for registration this weekend, click on the link below:
Introductory Workshop, Saturday August 12th, 12:30-3:30
SOLD OUT: Intro Workshop, Wednesday August 2nd, 3:45-6:45
SOLD OUT: Intro Workshop, Friday August 4th, 5:30-8:30
SOLD OUT: Intro Workshop, Sunday August 6th, 12:30-3:30
SOLD OUT: Intro Workshop, Thursday August 10th, 3:45-6:45
All levels are welcome in these classes, anyone from a hobbyist with a short attention span to a professional artist can learn, have fun and be impressed with themselves as we learn to “build” the landscape from background and shadow to the highlights of the surface.
While I offer most of my workshops during the winter months (when I’m not running around the country doing shows), I do have a window coming up in August this summer. Sign up for my email list in the sidebar to be notified when additional workshops become available, or check back to this page for updated offerings…
When classes are available I offer two different options. Click the links for more details:
Gift Certificates for work and workshops available. To Purchase, email or call for details: Jaana@JaanaMattson.com, 612-723-2114
About the classes:
The materials are all provided with the $15 material fee, due at the start of class. These include a kit for each student with a range of dyed wool roving in the landscape palette, felting needles, acrylic felt pinned to a foam block and printed materials outlining tools, fibers and resources. Students do not need to bring any tools or materials to class.
Classes are held in the artist’s home in Uptown Minneapolis; a lovely, spacious old 1920’s duplex (be aware, there are stairs to reach the second floor space), with room and equipment for up to 12 students, including a tour of the felting studio and current work.
About the instructor:
Jaana Mattson is a full-time professional artist who loves to make good art and loves to teach. She has developed an innovative and award winning approach to needle felting to create impressionistic and often photo-realistic landscapes from wool fiber. With a Master of Fine Arts in fibers from the University of Washington-Seattle, she loves to share her insight into materials and methods and help each student pursue their curiosity to work in new ways. more…
About the location:
Classes are held in the artist’s home and studio in Uptown Minneapolis, MN: a vibrant urban neighborhood filled with restaurants and lakes. If you are coming from out of town, The home studio location is just 12 miles from MSP Airport. The nearest hotels can be found around the airport or downtown (just a few miles away), and a search on AirBnB offers many options in the Uptown area.
Comments from recent student evaluations in Needle Felted Landscape Workshops:
- “Very open, responsive, clear in instruction, supportive, loved the challenges!”
- “It wasn’t difficult after all to make pieces that please and excited me! Jaana is an excellent teacher, relaxed, attuned and helpful… Working alongside others who were equally engrossed and enthused by the work was a true pleasure!”
- “Great instruction (easy to understand and well organized), supplies provided, nice size group, very comfortable setting and enjoyed everyone’s company.”
- “Inspiring and encouraging for the beginner I am”
- “We had a chance to play, discover, and see classmates’ experimentation… with great “watch me” episodes on elements we requested”
- “Even though I don’t have much art experience she was very approachable and helpful. She was awesome! I felt like I had success yet I was challenged”
Feel free to contact me with any questions, or requests for new dates and classes.
If you would like to be notified when new classes are offered, please sign up for my email list on the sidebar of this page.